Sunday, April 11, 2010

Clio, A Tribute

I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth


On April 11, 2010 at approximately 11:53am PST, Bubba's Little Amberlyn Clio, affectionately known as 'Clio," passed away. She was 14 years old. That's a grand 98 in human years. I will not dwell on how she died or why, but know this, she died with dignity, with peace and surrounded with love. I hope to be so fortunate.

...

We brought Clio home the summer before my 8th grade year while my Dad was away playing weekend warrior with the Navy. (I had previously convinced my Mom that it was time for another dog in the house and I would of course, do all the work. I talked my Mom into getting a Labrador Retriever. Never of course telling her that they shed small islands of fur everywhere.) I can still remember the look on my Dad's face when we let Clio run through the garage and down the drive to greet her new master. I think my Dad will agree with me on this one, it was love at first sight. Through all the holes in the backyard, chewed up steel brushes, gnawed on antique furniture and peed on carpets, my Dad and all of us, just remembered the love - and tried to anticipate the next place/item of destruction.

I can still remember all of her 'firsts':

-First time she met my Dad
-First time she met Katy, our Cairn Terrier. Katy used to run and take a flying leap at Clio and try to nip her on the nose. Clio would just smile. She knew deep down that Katy loved her.
-First time she used the doggie door. Her butt got stuck for a second before she used her back legs to push her through.
-First time she slept in my teeny tiny twin bed with me. Did I mention she weighed a good 75 pounds as an adult?
-First time I tossed her in our pool to swim. She was hooked. Her paws used to get bloody because she would run around the pool and jump in so much. We'd get out and dry her off and put her in the house to let her rest. But she'd just claw at the door to come back out. I think she left a piece of her heart with that pool when my parents moved to Big Bear.
-First time she dug a hole in the grass. My dad laid chicken wire all over the grass after that to stop her. She just dug in the vegetable garden instead.
-First time she ate prickly pears - without getting pierced by those crazy thorns.
-First time she ate my Dad's steaming hot sausages, right off the plate. The next food attack was the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies cooling on the hot cookie sheet. How she didn't burn herself both times...I'll never know.
-First time she drove up to Big Bear. She got car sick and threw up all over me. I didn't mind. I was feeling car sick myself.
-First time she saw snow!
-First time she went sledding. She would get so impatient with the speed at which my brother and I traveled down the hill that she would run, jump on her hind legs and push us down the hill with her front paws. Then she would carry the big blue disc back up the hill. She would do this for HOURS, like a merry-go-round. Nick and I would go back in the house - freezing, unable to move any longer - and she would keep playing.

There are so many 'firsts' and so many stories with Clio that I could write a novel. I can relate to that scene in Marley & Me, when they run a montage through all the things Marley does every day. That was Clio. She was so gentle with the young and the old. Playful and spunky with those who wanted to play. Caring and thoughtful with those having a bad day.

She was truly a best friend.

May you rest in peace and enjoy your afterlife my little bean.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about this, you did a beautiful job on the tribute. I still remember our family dog from when I was little. Animals make such an impact on a childs life, we learn an unconditional kind of love from them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. brings tears to my eyes. she was a lover!

    ReplyDelete